Author Topic: Side By Sides on Tug Hill  (Read 19142 times)

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
Side By Sides on Tug Hill
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »
Hoping I can get some info here.....
Me and my Wife have been to the Hill a few time riding our ATV's.
Looking to Purchase a Side by Side.
Now I know as of now I hear that they are too heavy to register in the state of NY
but registered Side by Sides from out of state are allowed to hit the trails in NY?
Anyone seeing UTV's and Side by Sides up there? Are you able to live in NY
and register a ATV in another state? I just think its ridiculous (if True) that people
from out of state are allowde to have a blast up there with them but if your from NY
your not allowed to ride them? Is there a loophole? Im probably getting the side by side regardless,
because I will be using it on my property. Would just be a bonus for me and my wife to actually be able to head up to the Hill with it.

Offline JZO

• View Profile
Re: Side By Sides on Tug Hill
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:09:58 AM »
side by sides are be used on the hill. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues as long as they are registered and insured. I know an individual that walked into DMV and registered her UTV. It's a real mess for a state that is hurting for cash. We need to push our elected officials to pass the bill on raising the weight limit for UTV's, bill 4380-A introduced by Senator Griffo.

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:25:55 AM »
Was it a Polaris Razer that they registered? I heard that they are light enough to be registered. Im looking at a Kawasaki Teryx. It's over the weight requirement. As far as the whole atv situation in NY.......
I just moved up her from Southern New Jersey in November. There is so much potential to be an unbelievable ATV destination. It is amazing how confusing and unorganized the atv situation is up here. We have been to tug hill atving, and everyone is confused on what trails are legal and what's illegal, whats open and whats not open. Maybe I have not put enough thought into this, but what are atv's destroying in nature?? muddy trails with ruts? What is that destroying? If an ATV trail was left alone if decided to close up it would eventually grow over and be part of nature again. Why not up the registration fee a bit more and put some money into daily trail maintenance.

Offline JZO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »
It was a polaris and it weight was over a 1,000 pounds. They just hit the right office at the right time.

I would say that 95% of the roads open to ATV's on Tug Hill have a green sign with a picture of a ATV on it. With that being said their has been five more roads open with in the last couple of weeks and I don't believe they have been marked as of date.

Now for the other issue when DEC closed the truck trails folks thought that it meant all the dirt roads had been closed.

The bottom line the ATV riders need to work as a group and hammer their elected officials to support us

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »
Bought the Teryx tonight. Filed my registration paperwork for PA. Simple as filling out a form and mailing to them.Contacted my atv insurance and they will cover the Teryx. So I have done eveything a responsible rider can do. Maybe I will see you on the hill.

Offline JZO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:27:19 AM »
please let me know if PA does the registration

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/snowmobile/index.aspx
Print out the form ,fil it out. Fastest way is to fax. They call you back for credit card info.
I faxed form last night they called this morning. My plate and sticker is being shipped UPS.
Will be here by the weekend.

Offline JZO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline fullpfts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
Hey Noodlez914
appreciate the info and link to the DCNR for UTV registration.
Hope to see you on tug hill.  Dan

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »
No problem. I got the plate and registration as promised. Im good to go.

Offline fullpfts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »
Just Faxed My info.......

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
fullpfts or JZO, either one of you a member of the Oswego County ATV club? Anyone know the farthest point south their trails go? Im in Constantia and would love to ride up on my side by side instead of trailering it.

Offline fullpfts

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »
Not a member of any clubs as yet but I plan to join one to offer my support, which I believe we all should. I'm new to the sport and only recently purchased my polars ranger XP, the red limited edition and I love it. I'm in the process of researching the clubs right now and I tried to call John at Timberview to  pick his brain but could not reach him. I am on Long Island and plan to take a trip to tug hill for a few days either later this month or in September.  I'm hoping to take a 4 or 5 day drive on the trails and stay at several places to get the full experience. I just want to be sure that everything is done legally since there is little information regarding the use of side by sides on the trails.  Hey Noodlez914...congrats on your new teryx.  Dan

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
Thanks Dan,
Me & my Wife stayed at the Timberview Lodge a year and a half ago (before we moved up this way) Originally from South Jersey. We brought our ATV's up, kept them parked right outside of our room and hit the trails every morning. One of the nicer places up there. But im gonna tell you...trying to find an answer about anything ATV related was more work then what it was worth. No one knew what trails you could go down, where you could go and so on. We just stopped asking and just rode, ended up having a really good time. Supposedly it has gotten much better. Not sure, haven't been up there since but plan to get up there within the next month with the teryx. I have called some of the local atv clubs up this end and as of yet, haven't heard one bad comment from any of the atv clubs. They welcome the side by sides. Oswego county ATV club from what I hear has a great Trail system and told me side by sides would be fine through all their trails. Their trails run in the altmar/williamstown area. Evin talked to the trail coordinator for Lewis County. He said side by sides were up there and there was no problems. He spoke great things of the trails he was working on up there. I have been picking peoples brains like crazy up here in regards to the side by sides. even if you go on the local atv club sites and go into photos section, you will always see at least one side by side in the crowd and they are growing in sales. Sorry to ramble on, just a pleasure to see someone else that has an interest in what's going on up here with the side by sides.

Offline fullpfts

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »
Well Noodlez,
Sounds like you're way ahead of me and that's great. I agree that the number of side by side fans are growing and will become as big as the ATV's. I like the fact that you can take passengers with you. I have family  with a couple of kids and we all enjoy this new toy and can' wait to hit the trails.  The ATV sport is suffering in new york because some people find it more annoying than fun mostly because of the loud muffler on some of them ...and simply because they have not tried to ride them...for whatever reason.  Since I brought mine home, I have had 2 friends who got one each. We plan to take a few trips annually. First stop tug hill and maybe even pennsylvania national forest before the end of the year.  hope to see you on the trails. Dan

Offline JZO

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 05:25:15 PM »
Noodlez914/fillpfts

I have only been down to ride the Oswego Trail system and I must say they seem to do a great job in mataining their Trail syste. I believe the only place that has thweir map for sale is little lukes store in Altmar.

If you come to the Hill youb will to try pour trail across from Timberview. John owns the 144 acres and has aloud us to build a trail system. I must say that not all of our trail is wide enought for side by sides. As we go along we will make them more side by side friendly.

I hope that I can explain the open road issue. Over the last 2 years almost all of the roads have ben closed down to ATV use. The Towns and county had to update their law and open roads that fell in line with the V&T Laws.  Then to top things off DEC closed the Truck Trails. That really confused a lot of folks thinking that all the dirt roads had been truck trails.

Now for the map issue and with all the road closing we haven't printed our full size map in 2 riding seasons. We have gone to a smaller map that we reprint 2 or 3 times during the summer as roads change or should I say as we open more roads. We will print a full size map next April.

Any time you have a question, issue or concern please send me a email and I will get back to you. jonyon@twcny.rr.com

On 23 August we will be having our next ride out of Tuggers, Barnes Corners

Offline noodlez914

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
Wasn't the big gripe, the fact that a ton of those roads closed were roads that you needed to ride your ATV down to get to another trail?

Offline fullpfts

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »
Got my registration and plates today in the mail for my polaris ranger yippy do da day.
Noodlez914 you have been a great help and I can't thank you enough.
JZO I'm going to email you about the ride on Aug 23. I really would like to come.
Dan

Offline JZO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
fullpfts

At the bottom of my last post is a copy of our 23rd ride. But still free to email me with any questions that you may have.

When Montague had to close down the roads it didn't take long to open enough roads to get through Montague. Martinasburg also had to close and reopen. They have since open an additional 5 roads. As we work with Lewis County additional riding areas and roads will open.  The only roads that we haven't reopen asa of date is over to High market.