Author Topic: Trails Closed  (Read 8374 times)

Offline Bigbear06

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »
I heard a rumor that more roads have been closed to atv riding. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Thanks.

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:41:36 PM »
I heard a rumor that more roads have been closed to atv riding. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Thanks.
[snapback]1022[/snapback]

Last I heard was they were opening more in Lewis County (Tug Hill). I heard this on the radio a few weeks ago while I was up at camp.

Some are getting shut down in the Adirondacks though.

Offline Bigbear06

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 08:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. Phantom. If you hear of any closings please post them or you can e-mail me at: dkuenze@comcast.net
My atv club is planning a trip to tug hill in May so we want to be sure the roads/trails are open. We have a guy from the area that guides us each year I'll have to check with him also.
Thanks Again!!

Offline Tug Hill Rider

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:30 PM »

Does anyone know if there is a "legal" road to ride an atv from the Hill to Brantingham? Rumors I heard last year were that it could not be done anymore due to closures. Are new maps out yet for this year? I checked the Lewis County web site, but they are still showing the updates from last year.

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 07:28:55 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a "legal" road to ride an atv from the Hill to Brantingham? Rumors I heard last year were that it could not be done anymore due to closures. Are new maps out yet for this year? I checked the Lewis County web site, but they are still showing the updates from last year.
[snapback]1025[/snapback]

I was going to refer you to that site but I guess they don't update on a regular basis.
Even the State Police and Sherriff are not sure on a day to day basis what is open and what is closed. I ride a street legal Dual Sport bike and my wife rides ATV, last year we were trying to get to a park to meet some friends and I saw a couple of tropers sitting in a lot up the road. I had my wife wait on the street we knew was legal while I rode up to the troopers and asked them. They called in to the Lewis County dispatch and asked them what was legal as they said it sometimes changes on a daily basis.
Keep in mind this was last year when a lot of the roads were getting closed and them re-opened all the time.

I would print the maps from the web site and use them as that is the latest official information. If you get stopped show them the maps and if they write you a ticket take the maps to court an show them to the judge. Most times these things get thrown out anyway they know you are there spending money at local buinesses and don't want to chase anyone away.

Offline Tug Hill Rider

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
I was going to refer you to that site but I guess they don't update on a regular basis.
Even the State Police and Sherriff are not sure on a day to day basis what is open and what is closed. I ride a street legal Dual Sport bike and my wife rides ATV, last year we were trying to get to a park to meet some friends and I saw a couple of tropers sitting in a lot up the road. I had my wife wait on the street we knew was legal while I rode up to the troopers and asked them. They called in to the Lewis County dispatch and asked them what was legal as they said it sometimes changes on a daily basis.
Keep in mind this was last year when a lot of the roads were getting closed and them re-opened all the time.

I would print the maps from the web site and use them as that is the latest official information. If you get stopped show them the maps and if they write you a ticket take the maps to court an show them to the judge. Most times these things get thrown out anyway they know you are there spending money at local buinesses and don't want to chase anyone away.
[snapback]1028[/snapback]

Thanks Phantom. I definitely spend money there; I bought a cabin and property on the Hill last year so my family and I had a legal place to ride ATV's in the summer and sled in the winter. I was not too happy to hear about road closers after making an investment and 4+ hr ride to get there, but realized that not too many roads were actually affected on the Hill, only if you wanted to ride off the Hill. I'm sure there's ways around them, just have to find them.

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:29:04 PM »
Thanks Phantom. I definitely spend money there; I bought a cabin and property on the Hill last year so my family and I had a legal place to ride ATV's in the summer and sled in the winter. I was not too happy to hear about road closers after making an investment and 4+ hr ride to get there, but realized that not too many roads were actually affected on the Hill, only if you wanted to ride off the Hill. I'm sure there's ways around them, just have to find them.
[snapback]1033[/snapback]

We've owned a place up there since '97 and built a new cabin in '01 and a garage for the toys two Summers ago.
We are on the trail in Constableville and have a six+ hour drive from South Jersey to get to camp.
Where is your home and camp?

Offline Tug Hill Rider

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »
We've owned a place up there since '97 and built a new cabin in '01 and a garage for the toys two Summers ago.
We are on the trail in Constableville and have a six+ hour drive from South Jersey to get to camp.
Where is your home and camp?
[snapback]1037[/snapback]

We live in the lower Hudson Valley in NY and our camp is in Turin. Is the garage you have big enough? I've found over the years that garages seem to get smaller very quickly.

Do you think the trails will be clear enough for ATV's by the snirt run? I'm thinking of bringing my younger son also with his 2wd ATV, but don't want him to be getting stuck every 100ft.

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
Trails Closed
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 07:27:29 PM »
We live in the lower Hudson Valley in NY and our camp is in Turin. Is the garage you have big enough? I've found over the years that garages seem to get smaller very quickly.

Do you think the trails will be clear enough for ATV's by the snirt run? I'm thinking of bringing my younger son also with his 2wd ATV, but don't want him to be getting stuck every 100ft.
[snapback]1039[/snapback]

Garage is too small! But it keeps my friends from wanting to leave their sleds there!
It's a camp so it should have lots of outbuildings anyway. I have a generator shack and a shed that used to be the porch on our old camp (trailer) the shed is big enough for the snowthrower and the grill plus the outdoor furniture and some tools.

Trails should be good... worse comes to worse tie on the tow strap permanent and drag him around all day!
I'm riding a two wheeler so he can't be much worse off than I will. At least with four wheels you stay upright while going sideways down the trail.