Author Topic: What trails are open to atv's on the hill  (Read 15646 times)

Offline modman4933

• View Profile
What trails are open to atv's on the hill
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:10:49 PM »
I'm headin up to the hill tomorrow with some friends, and was wondering what trails were open to atv's. I was also wondering what the best trails are or where the best place to drop is. Any information would be a big help.

Thanks

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:34:54 PM »
Modman

Sorry I missed your post last evening. But for anyone else heading to the Hill to ride I would drop off at Marty's or Montague Inn until the road issue is worked out.

Joe

Offline TugDuster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
Modman

Sorry I missed your post last evening. But for anyone else heading to the Hill to ride I would drop off at Marty's or Montague Inn until the road issue is worked out.

Joe
[snapback]119[/snapback]

I would have to agree, Joe, but was curious as to whether or not you have a curious attraction to businesses that have names that begin w/ the letter "M"?  How about Timberview, Flatrock, or Tug Hill Inn?

Offline TugDuster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »
Actually, this time of year can be so much fun. We like to ride our wheelers naked after midnight, and without any lights. First one to crash gets to put their clothes back on. We have done this about 3 times a summer over the past seven years, and only one suffered brain damage: Guess who yet?  You are 100% correct! It was Joe, but we wipe his drool and let him type neat answers to questions posted here on the forum. We love ya, Joe.

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:40:31 PM »
Tugduster, I'm glad to see that you have been reading my E-Mails and posting. I never realized that I had a thing with the letter "M".  The three places that you listed I do stop in once in a while. I also enjoy High Market.

THANKS

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT NIGHT RIDE

Joe

Offline TugDuster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »
Ha!   Is there any doubt as to why we go wheeling, when we all are such open-minded lovable folks, and hard working, community involved, giving at least 36% of our gross income to charities, and also involved in trailside trash pickup at least 5 times a month.
   What we do NOT like, and would like to spank the folks that do it......dump their cans, wrappers, and other stuff along and on the trail, go mudding off the designated trail (Let us do that in YOUR or your loved ones front yards-no difference).
   If any of us really want to get those roads and more county trails made available.....begin riding smart and responsibly, or it will be gone. Really, let there be no doubt about that "Mr/Ms Drifting Cowboy".
   Anyone know of any atv rodeos and/or any lengthy rides, poker runs and the like? These have dropped off dramatically in the past couple of years, making the die-hards head to the Carolinas, at least to PA or Canada. Sad really. Yeah Highmarket and Sportsman OK, but dead head destinations takes the zip out of the ride.  :huh:

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:16:14 PM »
TugDuster

"WELL PUT"

Next Tuesday with a little luck lewis County will be opening up some of the County roads.  No one seems to know just what roads will be open.

I also attended a meeting this evening with DOT. I must say that I was impressed with the plans they have for the I81 overpass that goes over the River Gate trail system.  I believe most folks thought DOT would fill in and cut off theTrail when they remove the over pass next summer. Instead they plan on installing Two Tunnels for the ATV's, Snowmobiles and who ever else uses the Trail.  My hat goes off to DOT for taking our Trail into their plan.

Offline conam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 07:00:15 PM »
I also would like to know how many trails are open and how many miles there are. I frequent Hatfield-McCoy and would like to find someplace to ride with speed not just skill. Are the people in the towns surrounding tughill friendly to ATV riders or treat them like a nuisance?

Offline conam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 07:08:41 PM »
Actually, this time of year can be so much fun. We like to ride our wheelers naked after midnight, and without any lights. First one to crash gets to put their clothes back on. We have done this about 3 times a summer over the past seven years, and only one suffered brain damage: Guess who yet?  You are 100% correct! It was Joe, but we wipe his drool and let him type neat answers to questions posted here on the forum. We love ya, Joe.
[snapback]124[/snapback]

And people wonder why NYS has such a problem with ATV riders. Who is going to trailer up there or support ATV riding with irresponsible and immature riders on the trails.
Tell me your joking.

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:22:14 AM »
If you are looking for speed then I suggest you contact the Clubs that having "RACE TRACKS" to express you need for speed.  The "TUG
" is not for you since one of the things we would like to see is have the speed kept down. So families can enjoy the hill.

Joe
President
JCATVC

Offline TugDuster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 09:54:34 AM »
To:Joe
     President
     JCATVC

Hi this gray Sunday morn, CATF. I am being told that the bridge over the river Deer at the eastern end of the Horace Forward is coming down, and will remain unpassable for at least the remainder of this season?? Since the subject here started as "What trails are open.......on the hill", I think it would be handy to have this info posted, and I was curious as to whether you folks or any other private or county/state org had planned to set a temporary bridge that could be used for foot traffic as well as ATV and limited weight and width vehicles. Sure would be a great solution to huge detours, especially to those that visit from afar and had no clue this is about to happen.

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 10:07:45 AM »
TugDuster

What I have been told so far is that the bridge will be replaced at the end of the school year. I hope to find out at the Tuesday meeting in Lewis County what will be the the bypass route.

Just reminder Tuesday nights meeting at 5PM we should find out what Lewis County roads will reopen.

Joe

Offline TugDuster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »
TugDuster

What I have been told so far is that the bridge will be replaced at the end of the school year. I hope to find out at the Tuesday meeting in Lewis County what will be the the bypass route.

Just reminder Tuesday nights meeting at 5PM we should find out what Lewis County roads will reopen.

Joe
[snapback]134[/snapback]
Hi again Joe......You find any new info Tuesday on that bridge?? Or was that subject not even brought up due to the HOT TOPIC of road openings being on the evening's agenda??

Offline sdevine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »
TugDuster

"WELL PUT"

Next Tuesday with a little luck lewis County will be opening up some of the County roads.  No one seems to know just what roads will be open.

I also attended a meeting this evening with DOT. I must say that I was impressed with the plans they have for the I81 overpass that goes over the River Gate trail system.  I believe most folks thought DOT would fill in and cut off theTrail when they remove the over pass next summer. Instead they plan on installing Two Tunnels for the ATV's, Snowmobiles and who ever else uses the Trail.  My hat goes off to DOT for taking our Trail into their plan.
[snapback]127[/snapback]

Offline sdevine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 07:50:36 AM »
I just checked the Lewis County Chamber of Commerce website, and the details of the 4 county roads that have been opened have been posted there.  Good ridin'! B)

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 08:45:50 PM »
The bridge on the McDonald road was removed this past week.  Now that the 7x9 is open I would take the Worth road to 7x9 and into Barnes Corners.

Joe

Offline TugDuster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 04:50:16 PM »
The bridge on the McDonald road was removed this past week.  Now that the 7x9 is open I would take the Worth road to 7x9 and into Barnes Corners.

Joe
[snapback]158[/snapback]
Your other choice would be:_____________________________?

Offline 06450

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 08:28:47 PM »
keep speed down for families??? I have not seen that yet and it sure will not happen. Just like on sleds.

Offline medicineman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »
Joe, I agree.  I've been riding the hill for many years and MOST of the people try and keep it safe.  There are always yahoo's that ruin thing for everyone.  I've ridden in Pa and the people there are much worst overall than the wheeler on the hill.  We need to be proactive and patrol our own ranks; otherwise the legislators will have the grounds to close more roads.  Let's all be safe and have some fun!!!