Author Topic: Riding ATV's in and around Tug Hill  (Read 14572 times)

Offline TopSapphire

• View Profile
Riding ATV's in and around Tug Hill
« on: March 05, 2006, 08:24:31 AM »
My husband and I were wondering about riding ATV's in and around Tug Hill.  Is there still places that you can ride up there?  We heard that Lewis County is banning ATV's.

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 08:26:28 PM »
Lewis County is not banning ATV's and a matter of fact I believe you will see some outstanding riding in the Future in Lewis Coutny. In the last elections seven individuals had lost their positions. So one of the last thing they did was close the roads.
On April 15th will be the first big ATV ride (SNIRT) of the season. It is put on each year by the SNO-PALS Snowmobile club. If you haven't been on the ride you are missing on a good day of riding and last  year their was over 800 riders.

WWW.sno-pals.com

Offline TJB2006

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
When do they open the trails for ATV's, April 15th? Does it depend on conditions? We usually ride there in the fall, would like to get a early start this year.   Thanks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 04:54:27 PM by TJB2006 »

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:16:42 PM »
As the Snow melts you will start to see the ATV's on the Trails. The only place you will not see the ATV's is in the Barnes Corners area. Since the 7 by 9 is a Lewis County road you will be unable to get into Tuggers or to the service station for Fuel.  With alittle bit of luck this will only be short term.

Offline Tug Hill Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:21:47 PM »
Do you know if they are working on opening the county roads again to ATV's? They were hoping for it to happen when the new people were coming in to office; have they been elected yet?

Offline Tug Hill Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:15:53 PM »
Lewis County is not banning ATV's and a matter of fact I believe you will see some outstanding riding in the Future in Lewis Coutny. In the last elections seven individuals had lost their positions. So one of the last thing they did was close the roads.
On April 15th will be the first big ATV ride (SNIRT) of the season. It is put on each year by the SNO-PALS Snowmobile club. If you haven't been on the ride you are missing on a good day of riding and last  year their was over 800 riders.

WWW.sno-pals.com
[snapback]66[/snapback]

How does the SNIRT run work; is it an organized run that goes out in groups of so many people, or is everyone on their own? I have been to poker runs in Sullivan County, where groups of 25 - 30 riders go out together and stop for breaks and lunch together; is this the same idea?

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 05:20:25 PM »
As for the SNIRT run you sign in under your own name. Then you can go yourself or travel in groups.

Lewis County is working on opening some of the county land. Once that is completed then they can work on roads to join the County land to develope a Trail system.

Offline Shoey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »
Hi, my name is Wes Shoemaker.  I am currently the president of Pocono Mountain ATV club located in PA.  Every May we have our anual Tugg Hill trip.  However, with the county road closures, we are concerned about where we can and can not ride.  We prefer off road trails over county roads.  In past years, we  have parked in Barnes Corners and road the Washington Park area.      I understand  the 7 by 9 road was a county road which is now closed. (I think)    I am looking for any information or suggestions of where we should park/ride in the Tugg Hill Area.  Our trip is planned for the first weekend in May.

Wes Shoemaker

Offline thillrider

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 07:15:41 PM »
Hi all.Yes the county roads are closed for now,?But and i mean But,Some of the roads are going to have to be opened for the Snirt run,this will help everyone in the long run.The7 by 9 road is county,hopefully we can use the trail behind Tuggers,the snow sled trail.I Just road to Monague for lunch,fun ride.There is some snow in the deep ,shaded parts of the trails which make it fun.The trails are good for riding this early in the year,get out and have some fun.Don't forget the SNIRT run soon,!done it the last 2 years,well worth the time ,Lots of fun,lots of people to meet,enjoy ,see you out there. thillrider,

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:01:01 PM »
The issue of the roads to Washington Park have not been setteled as of this date. The roads last year had not been legal to ride to Washington Park. Town of Lorrtanie are working those issues.

""NO"" additional roads will be opened for the SNIRT run. The Snowmobile Trail behind Tuggeras will be open for only the day of the ride.

At this time the only roads closed on the hill is the 7x9 and Sears Pond. Depending which direction are coming from you can offload at Montague or Marty's. If you want to start at Barnes Corners you would have to offload on the Denning Road.

Offline medicineman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 09:01:46 AM »
:o What about the roads on the other side of rt26, over towards brantingham.  When will the 2006 maps come out and where can I get one.  We really don't want to drive 7 hours to find we can't ride where we used to, or some of the road are closed.  Bad enought with the windmills around flatrock, but this may just deter people from coming up and spending money.  Too bad!

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
As of this date you are unable to ride between the Hill and Brantingham.

This Tuesday their will be a Lewis Coutny meeting. I don't know if they are voting on opening the 33 parcels of County land. Once the Parcels are open then they can have the public hearing on opening some of the roads back up.

Offline Shelley

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 04:54:58 PM »
As of this date you are unable to ride between the Hill and Brantingham.

This Tuesday their will be a Lewis Coutny meeting. I don't know if they are voting on opening the 33 parcels of County land. Once the Parcels are open then they can have the public hearing on opening some of the roads back up.
[snapback]111[/snapback]

Any news on the roads or county land from Tuesdays meeting?

Offline CATF6

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 08:11:24 PM »
Sorry to say as of this date the vote had to be pushed to their first meeting in June. Since they haven't received the paper work back from Fish and Game.