Author Topic: ATV's and Motorcycles  (Read 8033 times)

Offline chains350

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:33:04 PM »
Hi All,

I have spent several winters riding snowmobiles at Tug Hill but have never experienced riding ATV's. I am planning on a few day trip there from PA in October. One of my friends would like to come along but does not have an ATV but a registered and licensed dual sport motorcycle. I can't find any information pertaining to these types of motorcycles. Are they permitted? Is Tug Hill open to riding in October or possibly November? Is it closed at all during hunting season? I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks!

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »
As long as the bike is registered and insured bring it on!

I ride The Hill all the time on my DRZ 400 S... best part is I can go places wheelers aren't allowed. Just keep in mind it is a MOTORCYCLE if you get a ticket for anything it goes againt your drivers license.
ATV tickets are Parks and recreation tickets (Like a boat) and don't apply to your license just a fine. (In most cases)

I'm headed up Thursday afternoon for a long weekend at camp myself. If you want to see Fall Folage this is the weekend I'm told.

BTW DO NOT use a sled map for the trails lots of sled trails are on private property and closed except for snowmobiles. You can be charged with tresspassing.

Go here and you can download ATV maps...

Lewis County Chamber of Commerce
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 08:39:00 PM by Phantom »

Offline chains350

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:36:49 PM »
Phantom,

Thanks for all the information you provided. This is a big help. Do you know how late in the season ATV's and motorcycles are allowed to ride on the Hill?

I appreciate your help! Have fun this weekend! I hope the foliage is at it's peak for you.

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:54:18 PM »
We ride year round... just shange machines once snow falls.
If you take it easy and your exhaust is quiet there s no real reason for hunters to get mad for riding.
Just don't come blasting aroung a corner and find yourself head to head with a truck full of hunters. It's all about respecting the other sportsmen out there.
We own property there and have a reason to be riding plus most of the locals know us and ride with us.
Most hunters (I don't hunt) sit watch early morning and late afternoon and come out of the woods from 9-10 AM until 3-4PM so if you ride between 10 and 3 you really aren't bothering anyone IMO plus the dirt roads that you ride on most hunters would not be set up real close to anyways.

BTW Once you ride The Hill when there is no snow you will NEVER want to ride your sled unless there is a good base again. I laugh when I read trail reports that say there is 8" early in the season and people are out riding becuse I know what's under that snow!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:01:01 PM by Phantom »

Offline chains350

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
I'm glad to hear that there's no exact cutoff like the DCNR trails in PA. Yes, it's all about respecting other people's activities on the trails. I'm not a hunter either which makes me a bit ignorant as to when the seasons begin and end.

I've seen a few pictures of the trails and I must agree that they don't resemble ANYTHING of what I recall with nice white fluffy snow. Sledding is so much easier to clean up afterward. I've learned that quickly. I've tried to explain to my friends that ride ATV's but not sleds how beautiful everything is with the pine trees and the snow. Both are cool though, just a totally different ride.

Thanks again for your help. I'm anxious to head up in a couple weeks.

Offline JZO

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »
PHANTOM

ATV's in new york state fall under the Vehicle and Traffic Laws. So any tickets received do go against your drivers licences. I know one individual who lost his drivers licence for one year from a DWI on his ATV.
This time of year the riding is great and you have to keep a good look out for vehicles.

Joe

Offline Phantom

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:55 PM »
PHANTOM

ATV's in new york state fall under the Vehicle and Traffic Laws. So any tickets received do go against your drivers licences. I know one individual who lost his drivers licence for one year from a DWI on his ATV.
This time of year the riding is great and you have to keep a good look out for vehicles.
Joe
[snapback]382[/snapback]

I didn't know that!
I wonder how come so many riders take the chance and ride either with coolers full of beer or go bar to bar. We always see people stopped on the side of the trail drinking beer. It could just as easily be the Sherriff or DEC as me and my group coming down the trail.

Offline JZO

• View Profile
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:45:33 PM »
Quote from: Phantom,Oct 4 2006, 09:28 PM

Phantom

You are so correct and I think a lot of riders don't believe that ATV,s are under DMV. Soon or later DEC will start stopping ATV's for drinking and that is the last thing we need on the hill.  Between Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego and St Lawence counties are working to develope trails and the last thing we need is bad publicity.

Offline Shelley

• View Profile
    • http://
ATV's and Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 10:38:54 PM »
I'm glad to hear that there's no exact cutoff like the DCNR trails in PA. Yes, it's all about respecting other people's activities on the trails. I'm not a hunter either which makes me a bit ignorant as to when the seasons begin and end.

I've seen a few pictures of the trails and I must agree that they don't resemble ANYTHING of what I recall with nice white fluffy snow. Sledding is so much easier to clean up afterward. I've learned that quickly. I've tried to explain to my friends that ride ATV's but not sleds how beautiful everything is with the pine trees and the snow. Both are cool though, just a totally different ride.

Thanks again for your help. I'm anxious to head up in a couple weeks.
[snapback]380[/snapback]

You can actually get a DUI or DWI on a bicycle.